421,000 people were injured in distracted driving related accidents in 2012 as well. Unfortunately, these numbers continue to rise every year as cell phone usage in vehicles becomes more and more common.
So, how do we combat distracted driving and get to our destination safely? Here are five helpful tips to start with:
5. Make sure your full attention is always on the road. Nothing around you should divert your attention from the road ahead. Always scan your surroundings for motorcyclists, pedestrians, and other vehicles.
4. Put your phone away. Cell phones are usually the No. 1 culprit when it comes to distracted driving. Make sure to put your phone in the center console away from your immediate attention in order to prevent you from using it while driving. A text message can wait until you get to your destination.
3. Finish grooming at home. It is quite common to see drivers finishing their make-up at a red light. Simply put, driving is not the time to get dressed or to groom yourself.
2. Don't drive overly emotional. Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to focus on driving if you are upset or angry? Try to avoid driving whenever you are overly emotional.
1. Avoid eating while driving. Drive thru fast food restaurants have made eating while driving a common occurrence, but it is yet another distraction. How could you be focused on the road while trying to eat french fries and burger? Take a minute to eat your food and then get back on the road.
If you are ever in an accident, please do not hesitate to call us. We are here to help you. Got Justice?®