While Floridians do not typically experience severe winter weather conditions all season-long, it is essential to be aware of winter safety guidelines:
1. Prepare your car. Take your car in for a routine tune-up in order to keep your vehicle systems in-check. Know when to switch to proper winter tires if necessary.
2. Know how to avoid a crash, especially on slippery roads! Make sure to have the correct tires, know your brakes, be sure to accelerate slowly.
3. Pack for all weather conditions. Bring along warm jackets, winter boots, hats and gloves. Your car should also be equipped with a shovel, flashlight (with extra batteries), tow strap and jumper cables.
4. Keep your eyes open. While it is always important to be alert when driving, the holiday season brings heavy traffic patterns (and "snowbirds"), therefore increasing the likelihood of car accidents.
5. Learn how to properly implement a car seat, while also keeping your kids warm and safe this winter. Read more winter car seat tips here.